Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I think I have learned that blogging is kind of like exercise to me. I really enjoy it when I do it and makes me feel good. But I have a hard time forming habits.

Today B and I went to Sham Shui Po to hunt down any random place to make us a blackout curtain for one of our living room windows. The afternoon sun comes in directly and it's so hot and so bright in the afternoon that we seriously cannot sit on our couch between the hours of 2 and 6pm. Since our apartment is only 1100 square feet, losing our entire "family room" is kind of a big deal.

Armed with measurements converted to centimeters, we set out on a mission with high hopes and a low budget. After ambling around block after block through all the fabric stores we finally saw a store front decorated with valances and different curtains and mini blinds. Jackpot! We walked in, looked around a bit and decided we kind of liked one of the demo curtains they had on display.

It is always touchy when someone at a store helps you. We never know how much English the person will speak and for all they know we might speak Chinese. We got the nod from one of the guys in there and I said "Hello" to let him know I needed to be helped in English. It's all very subtle. He said "ahhh hello one minute" and nodded toward a woman working with another customer.

This is always a good sign--he was nice and friendly and didn't ignore us so we felt welcome, but he told us (without using words) that we needed to wait for the woman. She spoke decent English thankfully. After perusing some fabrics we ended up taking the easy way out and getting the demo curtain we had seen at the front of the store. The quote was less than I expected and well within our budget. What a nice surprise! In 7-10 business days we'll be all set. Hopefully we will be able to actually find that store again when it's time to go pick it up.

3 comments:

  1. So good to see you back blogging. I missed it.
    Glad you got some curtains at a reasonable price.
    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. T,
    I am not sure if you noticed this but they took the measurement that we so diligently converted from inches to centimeters and converted it back to inches to do the quote.
    ,B

    ReplyDelete
  3. B, I had no idea that had occurred. This reminds me of the time I tried to order sliced cheese from the deli using kilograms and in plain English she asked if I knew about how much that weight was in pounds. I love how they just keep you guessing around here.-T

    ReplyDelete