Sunday, August 22, 2010

I can't believe how many random emails I've gotten from people harassing me to write more on this blog. And not just from my mom either. So I'm back. I do really enjoy writing and sharing our stories here and I am not sure what exactly I've been doing all summer that has made me too busy to blog...

Now that my kids are officially back in school, and D is now going every day, I have no excuse. Technically I should have plenty of time on my hands, right?

We've had a fun summer. B has been on reserve, meaning he is on call for a few hours a day for half the month. Reserves usually only have to go fly when something crazy happens like someone calling in sick in the middle of a trip. So he really didn't have to go to work too much. I think he went twice. Like all summer. We spent a lot of time at the pool and had more fun than should be legal.

Our helper M has been with us now for about 6 weeks. It's working out very well. It is awesome actually. There was definitely a bit of a learning curve at first. I had to get used to someone folding my underwear (oh yes she does). And I think she has finally come to understand that I honestly enjoy cooking and I want to be in the kitchen doing it. I think at first she thought that I didn't think she was a good cook (--and she is a very good cook). But now she's figuring out that I'm just the weird American lady who bitches about missing Mexican food and doesn't even own an iron.

Having M has allowed me and B to go out and do things with our friends here in Hong Kong. It has been wonderful to be able to have date nights a few times a month. I was explaining to M that we appreciate her very much for everything she does for us but that getting to go out for the evening was the biggest treat. I was telling her how much it costs to hire a babysitter in the USA per hour converted to currency she knows. You should have seen her eyes! She couldn't believe it! And then to tell her that normally a babysitter literally sits with the kids and watches tv or whatever--there's no house cleaning, cooking or anything expected of a babysitter other than watching the kids and making sure the house doesn't burn down. She really couldn't believe it.

School started the middle of last week. D is now in K1 (he'll be 3 in October) and G is in K2 (she's 4.5 and would be PreK in the USA this year). So far I get a good impression from all of their teachers and both kids seem happy to be going. They get SO tired though. I wish we would have lucked out and gotten spots for the morning but I'll take what I can get. They get picked up by the bus at 12:45pm and dropped off at 4:05. Monday through Friday.

G has got a big year ahead. She will be learning to read which is super exciting (for me--I hope she is excited!). And also, of course, she will be learning more Mandarin. She will actually be learning to read and write Chinese characters which is amazing. The teachers are very cool. They know the curriculum is completely overwhelming and though we parents have all been warned to expect 20-40 minutes of homework every night, they are realistic and have told us to encourage the kids but not demand them to do it all. I am really curious to see what will be G's favorite homework to do and how she will take to all of this.

That's it in a nut shell. See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Now I know what to get you for Christmas, T!
    AN IRON....
    So glad to see you back blogging.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaay! More from Toonces :) Tell us more about M...the concept of having a helper is so foreign (no pun intended) and divine at the same time.

    ReplyDelete