Monday, August 23, 2010

On Saturday, D asked if he could go to school. He was bummed when I told him no. I was excited he asked. On Sunday he asked again. I briefly explained what "weekend" meant and told him he'd go tomorrow. Today he got ready willingly and was eager to get out the door. And then he cried when we got there. Poor little man. He loves it, I know he does. He just got overwhelmed.

Tomorrow will be his first day to ride the bus. G started the bus last Friday since she's K2 and rode it last year. It's old hat to her. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he willingly gets on that bus tomorrow. We shall see.

For the past 2 months I have been doing a yoga/pilates class twice a week. The same instructor teaches the pilates on Mondays and the yoga on Thursdays. I am the only native English speaker in the pilates class. Thankfully the yoga class has a few other Western girls now. It's such a hoot in so many ways and I love it.

First of all, I am TERRIBLE. I mean it's shameful really. I am like a board. Completely inflexible. I think at first the teacher couldn't understand that I seriously can't do some pretty normal things (like sit on my heels). And with the language barrier it was comical having her try to figure me out and me attempt to explain myself to her.

After the very first class we attempted communicating. I said "I'm kind of a mess. I had juvenile arthritis when I was young so I lost a lot of mobility. It really causes pain when I bend my left knee more than this (I show her my limit). And my right hip got dislocated when my second baby was born. I couldn't put weight on it for like 3 days. So it causes me pain when I do this (show her the bad angle). I've never been very flexible. That's why I'm here! I am excited to see if pilates can help me to improve my range of motion and I hope you can have patience with me."

She blinked twice and then did the short giggle that translated to "I'm sorry. I don't understand a single word you just said."

Damn. I hate it when that happens!

So I did the short embarrassed giggle and then said "oh... sorry... old injury, hurt long ago, long time problems" while I pointed to my left knee and then my right hip and she nodded. She got that.

I really think I lucked out--she is an amazing instructor. And the soundtrack on her iPod is something else. We jam to REO Speedwagon, The BeeGees, Avril Lavigne, local Asian pop music, Whitney Houston, Selena (the real Selena, not Gomez)... I could go on. It's the best mix tape ever.

And I am learning Cantonese. For the first month she was really good to me saying "right" and "left" and "inhale" and "exhale" and using short phrases in English to direct me. And since I'm so awful and I don't speak Cantonese she spent a lot of time physically helping me to make sure my posture was correct and all. But now I've been in there long enough that I get very little English and she will come position me if necessary. I can understand most of what she is telling us--just from the repetitive nature of it and I know what to expect. But right and left, inhale and exhale, back to center... I am picking up a ton of little phrases like that.

So if I am ever lost and can't find an English speaker--well basically I won't know how to say anything... but if they direct me to breathe deeply, sit up straight and tilt my head to the left I'd totally know what they were telling me.

1 comment:

  1. You make me laugh! So glad to have you blogging again.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete