Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Well, it's official. I have been accepted into a graduate program at Hong Kong University. I am not officially enrolled yet but all the paperwork should be complete by the end of next week. I have to go to an orientation this Saturday and then to an introduction on next Monday.

I will be working toward a Masters degree in "Information Studies" which is a newfangled title for what used to simply be called Library Science. My goal is ultimately to be a librarian in a university setting or maybe work as a reference librarian in a public library.

This program I'll be doing is part time and semi-distance. I think I should only have to physically go to class a few times a month. It should take about 4 years to finish the Masters at the slow pace that they set. It includes a work study and all sorts of fun stuff.

So this is kind of a big deal.
It seals the deal that I will not be going back to flight attending. My logical and rational side knows this is for the best but my heart can't help but to be a little sad. I honestly always thought I would go back. But I left on a high note. Those glory days could never be re-lived.

It also means that we are now more committed to staying in Hong Kong for longer than we had initially planned. I think when we came here we thought we'd spend about 3 years or so. But we are really enjoying it very much. It's a great place for our young kids and we are having a blast. So we are more than ok with the idea of staying longer than we originally thought we would.

I am very excited to take on this challenge! Getting a masters degree in library science has been something I have wanted to do for a long time. I have looked into it in every single city we have lived in and in every city we ever thought we would move to. It was always too expensive, seemed too time consuming, too in the way of my babies or time with my husband.

So now it seems to be the right time. The program the cheapest one I have ever seen, it is part time so hopefully it won't be all-consuming. My kids are in school 3 hours a day, my husband is not commuting and is around a lot these days, and I have M to look after my house. So it's now or never.

I will keep you all posted.

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you, T. I know this is something you have wanted to do for a long time.
    Good luck! Oh dear, reality just hit me--this means you'll be in HK for a while longer. I'll survive somehow:)
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Very exciting stuff!
    Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting, Toni!
    -Stacy S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds terrific. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete